If you are interested in coaching during the 2023-2024 season, please complete a Coaching Application.
Requirements for Coaches and Volunteers
Coaches must complete all requirements listed below. Managers and volunteers must complete steps 1, 3, and 4.
Managers, volunteers and locker room monitors, please fill out this form: USAH # for Volunteers
NEW this season: MAYHA will reimburse ALL coaches for the cost of their clinic and module. Please email Grace the receipts along with your current address and we will process a refund check for you, to be issued after January 1st.
Travel and House Plus Coaches – you will not be eligible for the official team roster if any of your requirements are incomplete.
ALL Coaches – SAFE SPORT and BACKGROUND CHECKS must be current before you may have any interaction with players.
Follow the steps below to ensure you are eligible to coach:
- Purchase a 2023-24 USA Hockey membership and save a copy of your confirmation number (nine digits and five letters).
- Coaches, agree to and sign the coach’s code of conduct. Volunteers, complete this form: USAH # for volunteers.
- Complete Safe Sport training (required annually).
- SafeSport training is required every twelve months. If you have completed Safe Sport training within this year, you will not have access to the next course until thirty days before your training expires. When the course becomes available thirty days before, you will receive an email reminder to take the training. Coaches MUST pay close attention to their expiration date for Safe Sport. You will not be allowed to have any interaction with players if you do not have current Safe Sport training.
- Complete background screening, if needed (required every 2 years). The cost is $30 and MAYHA will reimburse coaches, managers, and volunteers for this expense. Please email Grace your receipt and current address, and we will process a refund check for you. All background checks must be done through this system. Reimbursement checks will be issued after January 1st.
- Register for a USA Hockey Coaching Clinic, if needed. Level 1, 2 and 3 certifications expire on December 31 of each calendar year. Clinics for the 23-24 season will be posted on September 1st.
- House Coaches – must have at least a Level 1 certification
- House Plus Coaches – must have a CURRENT Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 in order to be rostered on the official roster for tournament play.
- Travel Coaches – must have a current Level 1, 2, 3, or 4
- All Level 4 and 5 coaches will need to complete 5 credit hours of continuing education within each subsequent three-year period (by the end of the expiration date of their current level). Expiration dates go into effect in 2025, but coaches are encouraged to start working on CE credits well before their expiration date. Options as of July 2023:
- Bronze Level Goaltending Clinics (virtual)
- Level 5 Symposiums (in-person coaching conferences held every 2 years in the summer – next Level 5 will be in 2025)
- Athletics Healthspace online courses
- Complete USA Hockey Online Age Modules, if needed. You must have completed the age group module for the team(s) you are coaching. These modules do not expire, so if you have already done the module in a previous season, you do not need to complete it again. Before completing modules, coaches must now complete the Foundations of Player Development Module.
- Positive Coaching Alliance Workshop – required for coaches annually. Dates and times TBD. All workshops will be via Zoom and they are interactive so please plan on being in a place where you can be an active participant in the workshops.
Grace Hoene, Youth Hockey Director
SafeSport Training Video